Summer & Research Funding

Academic departments at Princeton often have some funding available to support undergraduate research. You should contact the relevant department or program office to inquire about availability of funds. Please note that financial support for first-year and sophomore research proposals may be limited.
Student in the Thesis Archives, Mudd Library
Senior Thesis Funding
Most senior thesis research is funded by academic departments, but the Office of Undergraduate Research also administers several funds to support this work. Juniors wishing to apply for summer research grants apply in the late spring, while seniors may apply in the early fall for funds to conduct research over the fall break or during intersession. The Office of the Dean of the College places announcements in The Daily Princetonian and provides departments with information regarding application dates and procedures.

Summer Study Abroad Funding
Students planning to study abroad over the summer can apply for funding from the Office of International Programs.

Summer Project Funding
There are a number of resources on campus for students who wish to develop and implement a summer project.  For those seeking support for a public service project (rather than academic research per se), the Pace Center for Civic Engagement may be able to help.  Check out their funding page here.

The Martin A. Dale '53 Summer Awards provide financial support to enable a small number of Princeton University sophomores to pursue worthy projects that provide important opportunities for personal growth, foster independence, creativity, and leadership skills, and broaden or deepen some area of special interest.

The Student Activities Funding Engine (SAFE) is a one-stop source of information about all University funding available for a wide variety of undergraduate academic, extra-curricular and co-curricular activities and projects. All funding requests for summer study abroad, senior thesis research, internships, junior project research, independent work and undergraduate conference travel must be submitted through SAFE . Applications for funding in support of student group activities on and off campus are also processed through SAFE.